These cookies combine two Indian classics; vegetable based ingredients and cashews. The dates add sweetness to this buttery, nutty and surprisingly elegant cookie. These cookies will be vigorously consumed by even the most devout carnivores.
1 cup coarsely chopped plus 1/2 cup finely chopped roasted and unsalted cashews
1 cup (about 8) Medjool dates, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1.5 cups cashew butter
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1.5 cups AP flour
For the cookies…
1) Mix together coarsely chopped cashews and coarsely chopped dates together and set aside.
2) Using an electric mixer, combine vegetable oil and cashew butter. Add vanilla.
3) Mix in sugar and flour and beat until combined. Add nut and date mixture.
4) Mixture will be crumbly but should be moist. Press into airtight plastic container and refrigerate for at least one hour.
5) Preheat oven to 400 degree F. On a parchment lined cookie sheet, place 2 inch balls of dough. Press balls down–they will not expand much in the oven. Sprinkle cookies with finely chopped cashews.
6) Bake for10-12 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden brown.
Makes around 40 cookies.