These crumbly cookies are an excellent blend of sweet delicate vanilla and semi-sweet chocolate. They are an Austrian classic and Cookie Chronicles did not mess with perfection here. Try them for dessert with a cup of coffee.
1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 T vanilla extract
1/2 cup toasted finely ground almonds
2 T granulated sugar
1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1 0z melted semi-sweet chocolate
For the cookies…
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2) Cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Add vanilla and stir in the ground almonds and sugar. Work the mixture with your hands until it forms a soft dough.
3) Roll small pieces of dough into lengths of about 1/2 inch thick and 2 inch long and shape into crescents. Place on parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for 15-2o minutes or until light golden brown.
4) Remove from the oven and allow to cool for two minutes, then remove from the baking sheet and roll in powdered sugar.
5) In the microwave, heat chocolate on high for 30 seconds. Dip crescents in melted chocolate and let harden.