Buttery, nutty and smooth, these are perfect holiday cookies. They combine the classic Italian flavors of pignoli nuts and Amaretto; an almond flavored liquor. Enjoy with a cup of tea or sparkling wine.
1 cup toasted, finely chopped pignoli nuts
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted plus 2 cups additional
1 T Amaretto
2 1/4 cups AP flour
1/4 tsp salt
1) In a food processor, finely chop toasted pignoli nuts. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2) With an electric mixer, cream butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the Amaretto.
3) Whisk together flour, salt and nuts. Add to butter mixture.
4) Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place on parchment covered cookie sheets. Bake until set but not brown–about 8 to 9 minutes.
5) Remove cookies from baking sheet. While still warm but cool enough to handle, roll cookies in powdered sugar. Roll again.
Makes about 48 cookies. Store in airtight container for up to a week.
Can these delicious Amaretto snowballs be frozen, and for how long? Your tips are greatly appreciated!
Hi Jennifer! Thank you for visiting my site! I have not tried freezing them so I think that they would be fine to freeze as long as you wrap them well to avoid freezer burn. Let me know if you try it!